Northern Youths Protest, Back Buhari On Onnoghen’s Suspension

A coalition of northern youths in Kaduna is backing President Muhammadu Buhari’s decision to suspend the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen, thereby calling for his resignation.

The youths took there demands to the streets to protest against those that are calling for the CJN’s reinstatement.

The protesters, who marched through some major roads in Kaduna state capital carrying banners and placards with various inscriptions, commending President Buhari for taking the bold step in cleaning the judiciary of corruption, urging him not to relent in the fight irrespective of whose ox is gored.

Addressing Journalists, the leaders of the coalition groups, who describe those calling for the reinstatement of Justice Onnoghen to his position as enemies of the country, also warned the public from given Justice Onnoghen’s suspension any religious or ethnic colouration but rather look at the gravity of the offence at hand.

According to them, Justice Onnoghen having failed to fully declare his assets to the Code of Conduct Bureau has violated the law, and should, therefore, resign honourably rather than engaging in judicial arms twisting.

Describing the suspension of Justice Onnoghen as a right step in the fight against corruption, the group notes that Nigeria cannot move forward with wrong judges piloting the affairs of the country’s judiciary.

The group, therefore, demanded the immediate dismissal and prosecution of the embattled CJN which they believe will save the country from further embarrassment.

Source Channels

Nuclear-armed North Korea wants good relations with the US but could consider a change of approach if Washington maintains its sanctions, leader Kim Jong Un warned in his New Year speech Tuesday after 12 months of diplomatic rapprocheme

At a summit with US President Donald Trump in Singapore in June, the two signed a vaguely worded pledge on denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.

But progress has since stalled with Pyongyang and Washington arguing over what that means.

“If the US fails to carry out its promise to the world… and remains unchanged in its sanctions and pressure upon the DPRK,” Kim said Tuesday, “we might be compelled to explore a new path for defending the sovereignty of our country and supreme interests of our state”.

He was willing to meet Trump again at any time, he added, “to produce results welcomed by the international community”.

The North is demanding sanctions relief — it is subject to multiple measures over its banned nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes — and has condemned US insistence on its nuclear disarmament as “gangster-like”.

Washington is pushing to maintain the measures against the North until its “final, fully verified denuclearisation”.

Kim’s speech “expressed his frustration with the lack of progress in negotiations so far”, said former South Korean vice unification minister Kim Hyung-Seok.

The North Korean leader “obviously had certain expectations that the US would take certain steps — however rudimentary they are — after the North blew up a nuclear test site and took other steps. But none of them materialised.

“He is faced with this urgent task to improve his ‘socialist economy’ — which is impossible to achieve without lifting of the sanctions.”

In marked contrast with January 1, 2018, when he ordered mass production of nuclear warheads and ballistic missiles, Kim said the North had “declared that we would no longer produce, test, use or spread our nuclear arsenal”, calling for the US to take “corresponding measures”.

The production pledge was a “significant evolution in leadership intent, if true”, Ankit Panda of the Federation of American Scientists said on Twitter, but credibility was an issue.

“All this might offer is a temporary cap on warhead production as long as talks are on with the US — to be withdrawn when sanctions relief doesn’t arrive,” he added.

The line was not included in the first English-language summary of the speech by the North’s official KCNA news agency.

Year of rapprochement

Kim spoke sitting in a dark leather armchair, in a large office lined with packed bookshelves and paintings of his predecessors, father Kim Jong Il, and grandfather Kim Il Sung.

As he began speaking — in a deep, gravelly voice and wearing a dark suit and blue tie — a clock behind him read at moments after 12.

But at times during the address, it was blurred out and towards the end of the half-hour broadcast it was close to 1, suggesting the speech was recorded in several takes.

The leader’s New Year speech is a key moment in the North Korean political calendar, reviewing the past and setting out goals for the future.

The 2018 address was a crucial catalyst for the developments that followed.

It came after a year of high tensions when the North made rapid progress with its weapons development, carrying out its sixth nuclear test — by far its most powerful to date — and launching rockets capable of reaching the entire US mainland.

The two leaders had traded personal insults — Trump mocked Kim as “Little Rocket Man”, who in turn called him a “mentally deranged US dotard” — and threats of war as fears of conflict rose.

In last year’s speech, Kim warned “the nuclear button is on my office desk all the time”, but also offered to send a team to the forthcoming Winter Olympics in the South.

That opened the way for the South’s dovish President Moon Jae-in to play the role of peace broker.

Seoul and Washington are in a security alliance and the US stations 28,500 troops in the South to protect it against its neighbour.

A rapid sequence of developments followed, with athletes and a senior delegation led by Kim’s powerful sister going to the Pyeongchang Games in February, before Kim met Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing ahead of the Singapore summit with Trump.

Kim also met Moon three times in 2018 — twice at the border truce village of Panmunjom and once in the North’s capital — and at the weekend vowed to meet Moon “frequently” this year.

South Korea on Tuesday reacted positively to Kim’s speech, which came after Seoul and Pyongyang have pursued several reconciliation initiatives in recent months.

These include projects to upgrade the North’s outdated rail infrastructure and reconnect it with the South.

“We welcome Kim’s reaffirmation… for complete denuclearisation and permanent peace of the Korean peninsula as well as the improvement in North-South ties,” Seoul’s unification ministry said in a statement.

Much of Kim’s speech Tuesday focused on North Korea’s moribund economy, saying that improving people’s lives was his top priority and tackling energy shortages was an urgent task.

AFP

Kylian Mbappe got a glowing “happy birthday” wish from Pele on Thursday, further feeding football fans’ comparisons of the 20-year-old with the Brazilian legend.

Only special talents show themselves so early. Happy birthday, Kylian. At just 20, I am excited by what is still to come,” Pele tweeted in English and Portuguese.

The French forward scored four goals in this year’s World Cup, including one in the final that saw France beat Croatia 4-2 to clinch the trophy.

That made him just the second teenager to score in a World Cup final after Pele, who did so in 1958.

Pele, 78, has several times used his Twitter account to express his admiration for Paris Saint-Germain’s Mbappe.

After the World Cup triumph, Pele tweeted: “If Kylian keeps equalling my records like this I may have to dust my boots off again.”

Mbappe responded: “The king will always remain king.”

Early this month, Pele gave an interview to the Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper in which he highlighted the similarities between his younger self and the French player.

“We are alike and we are more or less the same age,” joked the Brazilian who won his first World Cup at just 17

AFP

NLNG Prize, Ikeogu Oke .Buhari Mourns Winner Of N37m

Muhammadu Buhari has sympathised with the Oke family over the death of Nigeria’s renowned poets and winner of the 2017 NLNG-sponsored Nigerian Prize for Literature, Ikeogu Oke.

The President in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, extends his heartfelt condolences to the literary and creative community on the painful demise of the award-winning poet.

He affirmed that as an author, journalist and poet, Oke exuded vibrancy, intelligence and innovation in his works as a social commentator, constantly in search of plausible answers and solutions to contemporary issues bedeviling his society.

“Through his poetry, Oke enriched Nigeria’s literary genre and his legacy will live on in his works, which he was incredibly proud of and committed to, as he wrote in his epic Epitaph: ‘‘Here lies a man who loved virtue and art, And gave to both his fortunes and his heart…’’

The President encouraged all Nigerians, the literary community and lovers of art to honour Ikeogu Oke’s memory by imbibing the didactic message of his works.

He prayed for God to console all who mourn the departed poet and grant the soul of the departed eternal rest.

Source channels

https://www.channelstv.com/2018/11/26/buhari-mourns-winner-of-n37m-nlng-prize-ikeogu-oke/

Copa Libertadores final postponed again after bus attack

Boca Juniors captain Pablo Perez needed hospital treatment after the attack on his team’s bus

The second leg of the Copa Libertadores final has been postponed for a second time after River Plate fans attacked the Boca Juniors team bus, organizers Conmebol said on Sunday.

Boca said they will petition the South American federation to also punish River following scenes Saturday the club described as “shameful”.

The match between the Buenos Aires arch-rivals was due to be played at 2000 GMT on Sunday after initially being postponed following the attack near River’s Monumental stadium, which left Boca players with injuries from shards of broken glass and suffering the effects of smoke inhalation.

“There isn’t a level playing field to play the final. That is why Conmebol have taken the decision to postpone the final of the Libertadores and to call a meeting of the presidents of both clubs in Asuncion to find a new date,” Conmebol president Alejandro Dominguez said.

Boca president Daniel Angelici said he would petition the governing body’s autonomous disciplinary commission to punish River, suggesting he may even be hoping his club are awarded victory by default.

“Matches are won and lost on the pitch, that’s my personal perspective, but I have a responsibility as club president and that’s why I have to stick to the statute,” Angelici said at a press conference.

Earlier on Sunday, Boca issued a statement requesting Conmebol not only postpone the match but also apply “the corresponding sanctions provided in Article 18.”

Among the sanctions available under the governing body’s rules are “disqualification from competitions and exclusion from future competitions”.


AFP / Juan MabromataSecurity forces stand guard as River Plate supporters leave the Monumental stadium after the Copa Libertadores final, second leg, was postponed

It includes other options, such as a fine, the deduction of points and being forced to play a game behind closed doors.

– ‘Shameful image’ –

Three years ago, Conmebol used Article 18 to punish Boca after their fans attacked River players with pepper spray at half-time of a Copa Libertadores quarter-final tie.

Boca were kicked out of the competition with River progressing.

On Saturday, Boca captain Pablo Perez and midfielder Gonzalo Lamardo required hospital treatment after River fans pelted their team bus with sticks and stones and doused it in pepper spray.

“We’ve given a shameful image to the world,” Dominguez said.

The meeting between Boca president Daniel Angelici and his River counterpart Rodolfo D’Onofrio will take place on Tuesday at Conmebol’s headquarters in the Paraguayan capital Asuncion.

But finding a new date to complete the final may be difficult, not least due to the Group of 20 summit in Buenos Aires next weekend to be attended by United States President Donald Trump and his Russian and Chinese counterparts, Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping, requiring a massive security operation in the Argentine capital.

The Copa Libertadores winners are also due to represent South America at the Club World Cup in the United Arab Emirates from December 12-22.

Saturday’s attack initially moved Conmebol to announce that kick-off had been delayed but Boca players emerged from their dressing room to talk to the press and insisted they were in no condition to play.

Images circulating on Argentine television showed players stepping off their team bus rubbing their eyes from the effects of the pepper spray, while others from inside their dressing room showed them being treated for cuts by doctors.

When Perez returned from hospital, he was wearing a large white bandage over his left eye.


AFP / JAVIER GONZALEZ TOLEDOBoca fans await their team outside their hotel before the Copa Libertadores final was postponed

“We can’t play like this,” veteran forward Carlos Tevez told Fox television at the time.

– Endemic violence –

When the kick-off time approached with still no sign of any players coming out to warm up, a deflated feeling seemed to spread among fans inside the ground.

“It’s not easy to take this decision when there are 60,000 people in the stadium and the (television) rights have been sold to a ton of countries,” Angelici said on Saturday.

As fans left the ground on Saturday scuffles broke out with police leading to several arrests.

Argentina has a problem with football-related violence and more than 300 people have been killed over the last 50 years because of it, according to one charity.

The endemic violence led Argentine authorities in 2013 to ban away fans from all matches in the country.

The ‘superclasico’ final between Argentina’s two most popular teams, already known worldwide for their fierce rivalry, was dubbed the most important club match in the country’s history.

It was finely poised at 2-2 following the first leg two weeks ago at Boca’s Bombonera stadium.

That too had to be postponed due to a torrential downpour

AFP

US Shuts Border Post As Migrants Try To Cross From Mexico – Official

US officials closed a border crossing in southern California on Sunday after hundreds of migrants tried to breach a border fence from the Mexican city of Tijuana, US authorities announced.

The US Customs and Border Protection office in San Diego, California, said on Twitter that it had closed both north and south access to vehicle traffic at the San Ysidro border post, before also suspending pedestrian crossings.

Video clips posted on Twitter showed large numbers of migrants dashing across a shallow concrete waterway toward the border. Several thousand migrants, most from Central America, have been gathering in Tijuana in hopes of entering the US.

Source channels

https://www.channelstv.com/2018/11/25/us-shuts-border-post-as-migrants-try-to-cross-from-mexico-official/

Hundreds Of Caravan Migrants Try To Breach Mexico-US Border Fence

Hundreds of Central American migrants attempted to storm a border fence separating Mexico from the United States Sunday amid mounting fears they will be kept in Mexico while their applications for a asylum are processed.

An AFP photographer said the migrants broke away from a peaceful march at a border bridge and tried to climb over a metal border barrier in the attempt to enter the United States

AFP

Thousands March Across Spain To Protest Violence Against Women

With banners and slogans against sexism and related crimes, thousands protested in Spanish cities on Sunday to mark the international day for the elimination of violence against women.

Protesters took to the streets in Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, and Bilbao, reflecting how the fight to stop violence against woman has become a national cause in Spain.

“We are here for all those women who have been murdered, in Madrid and in Spain. We are taking it very personally,” said Rosa Orea at the Madrid rally.

Since 2003, 972 women have been killed by their partners or ex-partners in Spain, 44 of those so far in 2018, according to government figures.

“The situation has changed for our generation, but we have to keep fighting because this (violence) happens more than it seems,” said Sofia Serrano a Madrid student.

Violence against women has been a key political cause in Spain since 2004 when new laws were introduced against the crime.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez on Sunday reiterated his government’s “commitment” to eradicate violence against women and “culture” of sexism.

AFP

Winner Of N37m NLNG Prize, Ikeogu Oke Is Dead

Renowned poet and winner of the 2017 NLNG Prize for Literature, Ikeogu Oke, has died.

He died in Abuja on Saturday at the age of 51.

Details of his death are, however, yet to be clear.

Oke gained nationwide fame in 2017 when he won the Nigeria Prize for Literature for his book, The Heresiad.

He was presented with a cheque of $100,000 (N37m) by the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas Company Limited.

His poems and other writings have appeared in journals, anthologies and other publications worldwide.

He has performed his poems at various fora in Nigeria, South Africa and the United States

Source channels

https://www.channelstv.com/2018/11/25/breaking-winner-of-n37m-nlng-prize-ikeogu-oke-is-dead/