Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s eldest, Yair, tweeted on Sunday that Facebook blocked his page for 24 hours over apparent anti-Muslim posts and called the leading social network a “dictatorship”.

In a message posted Thursday on his Facebook page after deadly Palestinian attacks, Yair Netanyahu had called for “all Muslims (to) leave” Israel.

“Do you know where there are no attacks? In Iceland and in Japan where coincidentally there are no Muslims,” the prime minister’s son wrote.

In another post, he wrote that there were only two possible solutions for peace, either “all Jews leave (Israel) or all Muslims leave”.

“I prefer the second option,” he added.

His comments came after two soldiers were shot dead on Thursday at a central West Bank bus station near a settlement.

On the same day, a baby prematurely delivered after his mother was shot and wounded in a separate attack nearby on December 9 also died.

Facebook deleted Yair Netanyahu’s posts, prompting him to take to Twitter to criticise the social networking giant, calling it a “dictatorship of thought”.

Critics of the prime minister have often attacked Yair as a grown man living in the premier’s residence despite having no official role and benefitting from a bodyguard, a driver and other perks.

They say the parents of the 27-year-old are grooming him for future political power in an attempt to establish a ruling dynasty.

AFP

Seventeen people have been confirmed killed in a road crash in Labele village just after Nasko town in Magama Local Government Area of Niger State.

The crash occurred around 6 pm on Saturday and involved a Volkswagen Sharan car and a Peugeot wagon.

The Sharon car was carrying ten persons including the driver, while the Peugeot wagon was carrying seven persons including the driver.

All persons on board the two cars died. Fourteen of them died on the spot, while three died on arrival at a hospital in Nasko town.

One of the vehicles was heading out of Niger while the other was travelling to Niger State from Kebbi State.

A Unit Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Abdullahi Ibrahim, confirmed the accident to Channels Television.

According to him, the two cars collided when one of them tried to dodge a pothole. He attributed the tragic incident to speeding

Source channels

The Nigerian Army has buried 19 of the 23 soldiers it said were killed by Boko Haram during the November 18 attack on Metele, Abadam Local Government Area of Borno State.

At a solemn ceremony, held at the military cemetery of the Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri, the state capital, the fallen heroes were buried in the presence of their families.

Among those buried on Friday amid tears, prayers and emotional speeches was the Commanding Officer of the 157 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, the battalion attacked.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai, was represented at the ceremony by the Chief of Training Operations, Major General Lamidi Adeosun, who warned that fake news could undermine the effort of the Army and dampening the morale of troops.

Deputy Governor of Borno State Usman Durkwa was also at the ceremony to commiserate with the grieving families and the army.

Soldiers had occupied Metele in 2017 for clearance operations after they recaptured it from terrorists who had displaced the civilian population from the area.

Although the Nigerian Army was shaken by the attack, it insists it remains determined in its goal of eliminating all threats to the nations territorial integrity.

Source channels

https://www.channelstv.com/2018/12/14/nigerian-army-buries-fallen-metele-heroes/

Osinbajo Asks Nigerians In Diaspora To Hold Leaders Accountable

Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo says one of the major problems of Nigeria is the gross mismanagement of resources and grand corruption.

He said this on Sunday when he met with Nigerians in Berlin, Germany.

The Vice President also stated that billions of naira had been stolen by previous administrations, a trend which he believes can stunt the growth of the nation if allowed to persist.

He, therefore, asked Nigerians in the diaspora to hold leaders accountable in order to ensure the progress of the country.

The VP is also expected to meet with German business leaders today (Monday

Source channels

https://www.channelstv.com/2018/12/10/osinbajo-asks-nigerians-in-diaspora-to-hold-leaders-accountable/

Amnesty International on Monday said the International Criminal Court should start a full-blown investigation into atrocities committed in the Boko Haram insurgency, accusing Nigeria of failing to bring those responsible to justice

ICC chief prosecutor Fatma Bensouda opened a preliminary examination in 2010 into eight potential cases of war crimes and crimes against humanity during the violence.

Six cases relate to the jihadists and include the killing of civilians, mass kidnapping, attacks on schools and places of worship, sexual violence, plus the use of children in conflict.

The other two — involving attacks on civilians, mass arrests and detention of suspects, abuse, torture and summary executions — concern the military.

Boko Haram’s Islamist insurgency has killed more than 27,000 people and left 1.8 million homeless in northeast Nigeria since 2009, triggering a humanitarian crisis in the wider region.

President Muhammadu Buhari in June 2015 promised to “leave no stone unturned to promote the rule of law and deal with all cases of human rights abuses”.

Bensouda acknowledged in her latest annual report published on December 5 that Nigeria appeared to have taken “concrete steps” towards investigating the allegations.

She wrote there appeared to be a “tangible prospect” of proceedings against Boko Haram members but not against troops “since the Nigerian authorities tend to deny any allegation”.

But Amnesty International suggested Abuja was keeping her “in limbo” by giving the impression of domestic action but in reality doing very little.

“Eight years since the opening of the preliminary examination and faced with the continuing commission of crimes under international law and the possibility of a never-ending preliminary analysis, it is time for the OTP (Office of the Prosecutor) to open a formal investigation in Nigeria,” it said.

There was no immediate response from the government or military. But both have previously dismissed accusations from Amnesty as being without foundation.

‘Legal cover’

Central to the human rights group’s argument is Nigeria’s investigations into alleged military atrocities and its prosecution of thousands of Boko Haram suspects.

None of the more than 20 government inquiries launched into claims of abuse by troops and civilian militia members in the last nine years has led to formal investigations and prosecutions, it pointed out.

Instead, the proceedings appeared designed to provide a “veneer of accountability” and exonerate senior officers and “shield persons concerned from criminal responsibility”, it alleged.

At the same time, there had been a “minimal” number of prosecutions against mid- to high-ranking Boko Haram members for serious crimes such as terrorism, murder or hostage-taking.

The report said mass trials of more than 1,000 suspects that began in October 2017 were a “sham” designed to provide “legal cover” for those held in prolonged, arbitrary and unlawful detention.

Prosecutions were based on unreliable and untested confessions or guilty pleas, while defendants had a lack of access to lawyers and trials were rushed through.

Most of those on trial were acquitted due to lack of evidence or walked free because of time already served in custody. The majority appeared to be civilians caught up in the conflict.

Amnesty said Nigeria had failed to meet its obligations under international law to investigate and prosecute crimes as part of the ICC’s preliminary examination.

Further delays to a formal investigation “will allow further destruction and decay of evidence”, it added in the 74-page report.

“It is in the interests of both the OTP and Nigeria to demonstrate that serious steps are being taken to cure Nigeria’s inability or unwillingness to bring perpetrators to justice,” it said. “Above all, it is in the interest of victims.”

AFP

Three Killed In Fresh Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Accident

fresh accident has occurred on the Kara bridge along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, killing three people and leaving several others injured.

The accident which occurred in the early hours of Saturday involved two trucks and three other cars.

Consequently, there has been a gridlock outward Lagos.

However, the Federal Road Safety Corps, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and other officials are on ground to manage the situation.

The accident comes barely 24 hours after a fuel tanker fell on the OPIC end of the same road, spilling its content.

Although there were no casualties, the incident resulted in a gridlock which lasted for hours.

Source channels

https://www.channelstv.com/2018/12/08/three-killed-in-fresh-lagos-ibadan-expressway-accident/

Twelve people — including six hostages — were killed in northeast Brazil on Friday after police foiled a gang of armed robbers staging simultaneous predawn assaults on two banks in the town of Milagres, officials said.

Five of the dead hostages were members of the same family and included two children, the local mayor, Lielson Landim, told the Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper. They had been returning from a nearby airport when some of the robbers seized them.

The secretary for security in the state of Ceara, Andre Costa, said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out to identify those killed and the circumstances of their deaths.

Costa did not say whose bullets killed the hostages. Landim had earlier said that, based on initial information, he understood that “the criminals killed the hostages and the police killed the criminals.”

Two suspects were arrested, according to Costa’s office.

“A heavily armed group arrived in the town in the early hours and went to the centre where they tried to commit the crime. There was an exchange of fire between the suspects and police,” it said.

It said six gang members were killed and “another six people died from gunshots.”

Various weapons and explosives, as well as three vehicles used in the bank assaults, were recovered.

– ‘Cowering’ residents –

The gang had launched simultaneous assaults on two banks on the same street in Milagres — population 28,000 — shortly after 2:00 am (0400 GMT).

According to the G1 news website, the robbers had blocked a street with a truck and stopped the car carrying the family, which included relatives who had just arrived on a flight from Sao Paulo to celebrate Christmas with them.

G1 reported that the robbers “executed” the hostages when police turned up. It said some of the gang managed to escape.

“I’ve never seen anything like it. I stayed inside my home, cowering and afraid,” a local resident, Mendonca de Santa Helena, told media. “I heard people yelling and crying. It was horrible.”

Shaken by the violence, the municipality of Milagres suspended most of its activities on Friday and asked residents to stay at home “until order is restored.”

Brazil is one of the most violent countries in the world, suffering nearly 64,000 murders last year — a homicide rate of 30.8 per 100,000 inhabitants that is three times higher than the level the United Nations considers to be endemic violence.

On January 1, a far-right politician promising a relentless crackdown on crime, Jair Bolsonaro, will become Brazil’s new president following his election in October.

AFP

Police fired tear gas to disperse protesters trying to tear down barricades on the Champs-Elysees in Paris early Saturday as hundreds converged on the city for new demonstrations, with anger over fuel taxes morphing into a wide-ranging anti-government movement

Clashes between police and demonstrators wearing the high-visibility yellow vests, which have become the symbol of the protest against President Emmanuel Macron, broke out soon after crowds began gathering near the Arc de Triomphe, at the top of the famous avenue.

The Champs Elysees itself was on lockdown, its glittering Christmas decorations standing in stark contrast to boarded-up storefronts and throngs of riot police manning barricades and water cannon. Dozens of arrests were made in the first few hours of the protest.

Some officers, wearing protective gear and helmets, were spattered with vivid yellow paint.

Banks, wine shops and cafes on surrounding streets were also racing to cover up windows on Saturday, as the acrid odour of tear gas and burning trash containers filled the air.

Several protesters wore face masks, while others carried gas masks or ski goggles.

Other protests were expected around France by people angry over a surge in fuel prices this year which they attribute to a series of tax increases to finance the government’s anti-pollution efforts.

“With all these tax hikes, there’s not much left for eating at the end of the month,” Philippe, a high school cook in the Essonne region outside Paris, said near the Champs Elysees on Saturday.

The protests come a week after violent clashes on the avenue last Saturday, marked by burning barricades and vandalism which Macron compared to “war scenes”.

Some 5,000 officers have been mobilised and were carrying out ID checks and searches for people hoping to reach the Champs Elysees.

“Our responsibility is to ensure that everything goes as well as possible,” Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said while touring the forces on the avenue.

Castaner had already said on Thursday that “far left and far right activists” were preparing for fresh clashes with the police.

‘We want our dignity’

The “yellow vest” movement erupted on social media in October and has since become a wider protest against Macron, who is accused of failing to recognise the rising costs of living that has left many struggling.

The first day of protests, on November 17, attracted around 282,000 people, while some 106,000 turned out last Saturday, including 8,000 in the capital.

The protests include many pensioners and has been most active in small urban and rural areas where it has blocked roads, closed motorway toll booths, and even walled up the entrance to tax offices.

Two people have died and hundreds have been injured in the protests which opinion polls suggest still attract the support of two out of three French people.

Attempts by the government to negotiate with the movement have failed, in large part because representatives have insisted on public talks broadcast on TV.

“We want our dignity back and we want to be able to live from our work, which is absolutely not the case today,” Jason Herbert said after walking out of talks with Prime Minister Edouard Philippe on Friday.

Macron has sought to douse the anger by promising three months of nationwide talks on how best to transform France into a low-carbon economy without penalising the poor.

He also vowed to slow the rate of increase in fuel taxes if international oil prices rise too rapidly but only after a tax hike due in January.

But many protesters were unconvinced by Macron’s speech on Tuesday.

“What we need is something tangible, not just smoke and mirrors,” said Yoann Allard, a 30-year-old farmhand.

‘Resign!’

Trade union leaders, who met Friday with Philippe, have called for a moratorium on January’s tax hike, a suggestion which some pro-Macron members of parliament have started to endorse.

The anger has reached French overseas territories, especially on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion.

The minister for overseas territories, Annick Girardin, who was dispatched to the island to talk to protesters, was forced to cut short a meeting Friday with demonstrators after they booed her and shouted “Macron, resign!”

The movement has spilled across to neighbouring Belgium, where riot police used water cannon Friday to disperse stone-throwing “yellow vest” protesters who burned two police vehicles in the centre of Brussels

AFP

10 Key Dates In The Life Of George H.W. Bush

In this file photo taken on May 31, 2012 former US President George H.W. Bush waves as he leaves the East Room following the official portrait unveiling of his son former US President George W. Bush and his wife Laura Bush at the White House in Washington, DC. Former US president George H.W. Bush has been hospitalized April 23, 2018, just days after his wife’s death, according to a spokesman.
Mandel NGAN / AFP

– June 12, 1924: George Herbert Walker Bush is born in Milton, Massachusetts

– June 12, 1942: Bush enlists in the US Navy on his 18th birthday, and becomes its youngest pilot, flying 58 combat missions in a torpedo bomber during World War II. He is shot down over the Pacific and rescued at sea

– January 6, 1945: Following his discharge from the Navy, Bush marries Barbara Pierce. They have six children: George Walker, Robin (who died at the age of four), John (also known as Jeb), Neil, Marvin and Dorothy

– 1953: Bush co-founds the Zapata Petroleum Company in Texas

– 1967-1971: Serves as a Republican member of the US House of Representatives from Texas for two terms

– 1971-1973: Serves as US ambassador to the United Nations

– 1976-1977: Serves as director of the Central Intelligence Agency

– 1981-1989: Serves as US vice president under Ronald Reagan, whom Bush had opposed for the Republican presidential nomination in 1980

– 1989-1993: Serves as US president. In August 1990, Bush leads an international coalition to counter Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Kuwait and liberates the country in February 1991 with Operation Desert Storm.

– 1992: Bush loses his bid for a second term as president to Democrat Bill Clinton

AFP

INEC Holds Closed-Door Meeting With National Peace Committee :2019 Elections

Ahead of the 2019 general elections, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Wednesday met with the National Peace Committee (NPC) behind closed-door in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

Chairman of the committee and former military Head of State, General Abdulsalam Abubakar, said members were on a fact-finding mission on INEC’s preparedness to conduct the 2019 elections.

He said, “Tomorrow (Thursday), we are going to meet all the chairmen and secretaries of registered political parties.

“The aim of the meeting is to reach an understanding where we will meet and then at a later day, sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on how to play politics without bitterness and for political parties to accept the result once INEC declares the results.”

Others that attended the meeting include Bishop Mattew Kukah of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, INEC Chairman, Mr Mahmood Yakubu and other top officials of the commission

Source channels
https://www.channelstv.com/2018/11/28/2019-elections-inec-holds-closed-door-meeting-with-national-peace-committee/